Thursday, January 5, 2023

Pres. Emilio Aguinaldo Issues A Manifesto

Today in Philippine History (Philatelic Edition):

JANUARY 5, 1899

Emilio Aguinaldo issued a manifesto protesting Pres. William McKinley’s Benevolent Assimilation Declaration and the designation of Gen. Elwell Otis as military governor. 

He added “I protest in the name of God, based upon justice and law, that I have been visibly designated to lead my countrymen in the task for their regeneration against this American intrusion. 

I also protest in the name of all the people in the Philippines; these people have chosen me to lead their destiny; my duty is therefore to fight until my last breath for her independence.”    

(Design, concept, stamps and research: Richard Allan Uy) All rights reserved

Photo credit: en.wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment