Sunday, September 17, 2023

Quezon And Osmeña Declared Winners

Today in Philippine History (Philatelic Edition):

SEPTEMBER 17, 1935

The first Philippine Presidential Election for the new Commonwealth of the Philippines held on September 16, 1935 was peaceful and orderly throughout the country. It was held under the supervision of the United States Federal Government. 

The results showed Manuel L. Quezon and Sergio Osmeña victorious against their opponents. 

Quezon stated "I think only of the task before me and I seek God’s help to meet the grave responsibilities that have been placed upon my shoulders by my election as the leader of this new nation. My heart goes in deep gratitude to my people who have so generously honored me. 

Osmeña also shared "Thankful as I am for the popular confidence reiterated by the people, I think less of the victory that the Coalition has achieved than of the great responsibilities which the two parties have assumed before the country. We are ready, however, to face them, counting with the united support of all the people.” 

Governor-General Frank Murphy gave Quezon a message of congratulation.

(Design, concept, stamps and research: Richard Allan B. Uy) All rights reserved

Photo credit: quezoniana.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment