Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The World's First Basketball Stamp

A friend who loves basketball asked me if I happen to know and have in my collection the first basketball stamp of the world. He may be testing my philatelic knowledge or just kidding around but when I told him that the world's first basketball stamp came from the Philippines and I do have it, he got so excited and asked if he may see the stamp.

The Philippines owns the distinction as the first country to issue the first postage stamp featuring basketball. The 16-cent stamp was released on April 14, 1934 to commemorate the Tenth Far Eastern Championship Games. The Philippines was then under the United States of America.

The game of basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world today. Dr. James Naismith introduced the sport in 1891 at the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts. Through YMCA, basketball gained worldwide acceptance since 1893.

No comments:

Post a Comment